- Include your children in as many Sabbath rituals as possible. Children
are fascinated by the magic of rituals, in particular the lighting of candles.
Make sure they are present for the lighting of candles, for the washing of
hands and breaking of bread, and one of their all-time favorite rituals: havdalah,
the service for concluding the Sabbath.
- Sing songs at the dinner table.
- Turn off the television and enjoy one another.
- Play your child's favorite games on Shabbat to show them it is a special
- Saturday afternoon is a nice time for the entire family to take time to
read, rest, or take leisurely walks.
- Read the portion of the Torah with your entire family and play quiz games
with your children. The weekly portion can also be an interesting springboard
for discussion: "What would you do in similar circumstances?"